Acupuncturist, Nutritionist and Traditional Chinese Medical Practitioner
View more about Julie via bumpcarlton.com.au website here
Liver and fertility
The liver is one of the most important organs in the body:
- It works like a filter and governs around 500 metabolic processes which keep the body healthy and fertile,
- It helps to maintain blood sugar levels by assisting carbohydrate metabolism. This process helps metabolize fat and balance cholesterol,
- It’s in charge of blood storage and protein metabolism,
- It helps digestion with bile salts production;
- And stores iron, potassium, copper, zinc, vitamins A, B, C, D, E and K.
Liver function is strongly affected by toxins and stress. Things such as non-organic foods which may contain mercury, lead, PCBs or any number of pesticides can put a strain on the liver. Air pollution, medications, alcohol, caffeine, household cleaners and even some skin care products can affect the natural mechanism of the liver.
The liver does a great job of breaking down and eliminating excess hormones which is essential for hormonal balance and detoxification. For example, when estrogen has finished what it needs to do during a menstrual cycle like build a uterine lining, it is then sent to the liver to be broken down and removed through the colon. If, however, your liver isn’t healthy and the ‘filter’ is blocked, then the estrogen is reabsorbed back into the body. The result of all this estrogen dominance can lead to:
- Irregular and heavy periods
- fibrocystic breasts
Estrogen dominance can also come about when progesterone levels are low. Remember when I keep harping on about cortisol levels? Well, when stress from overwork, over-exercise, or life in general gets too much then those cortisol levels rise and block the receptors that progesterone needs to rise. So, progesterone levels drop and can cause estrogen dominance.
A healthy liver and less stress are the key!
- manage stress
- eliminate processed foods
- monitor dairy and meat intake
- eat lots of leafy green vegetables
Start your day with hot water and lemon juice!
- this assists with hormonal balance
- liver health (enhances liver function)
- improves digestion
- nourishes and strengthens cells and cell membranes
- very alkalising
Apple Cider Vinegar with warm water is also a great cleanser and alkalizer. A tablespoon in water before each meal (or at least once daily).
Love your liver!
Dr Julie Rani Vecera is a Chinese Medical Practitioner, Nutritional Advisor and Acupuncturist. She is available for private consultations in various locations in Melbourne or via Skype. For more information please contact bumpcarlton.com.au or bumplusnutrition.com